One Philadelphia DJ dedicated to one purpose... The flawless wedding reception...

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Check That Referral

I just read a very interesting article that I thought I would share with everyone.

This is a pretty sensitive issue everywhere:

Written by "The Becker" - A destination wedding photographer in Southern California
Reprinted with permission from the author

"As most of you know, I am not one to shy away from controversy. I am sure that I will receive some negative feedback from this post, and I could be potentially harming my chances to get referrals from certain wedding professionals, but I feel it is important for me to bring up an unpleasant subject and expose an ugly situation that is growing in the Southern California wedding community, and from what I hear, it's spreading around to other parts of the country as well.

Before I explain what is happening, I just wanted to make my intentions clear. I am only doing this as a public service to inform newly engaged couples so they can hopefully avoid this situation, or at least be aware of it when they are making decisions. This post is meant for every engaged couple in the country, not just the 40-50 couples that hire me... this is universal and all brides to be should be aware of this situation.

Basically, SOME (not all) wedding coordinators and catering managers are requiring "kickbacks" from all of the vendors they refer. It has been happening for a while in LA, and it seems to be happening more and more in the OC. So instead of just charging the clients a fee for their service, they also require any florist, photographer, make up artist, or other vendor, to kick back 10% (or more) just for the referral. I don't think that is right. It seems dishonest, immoral and just plain shady.

Most of the reputable coordinators that I know will just charge you a rate for their service, and refer to you the best vendors available that will provide excellent service on your day. I feel as if a good coordinator will refer the best vendors because in the long run, it makes them look better because of the job done by the wedding professional they referred.

Some of these not-so-reputable wedding planners will give you a list of vendors, and push those who give them kick backs even if they are not the best vendor available. A prospective client recently visited my gallery and were considering hiring me to shoot their wedding. When they asked why I wasn't on "the list" at this particular venue (of which I've shots several weddings over the years), I told them that I refused to pay the coordinator a commission. The groom immediately yelled, "I knew it! (name removed to protect the guilty catering manager) was pushing hard for these two photographers, and when we looked at their websites, we were shocked that she was so aggressively promoting them, because their work was garbage compare to yours" (that was basically the gist of what he said). Once I confirmed the couple's suspicions, they hired me immediately.

I am certainly not saying that just because a wedding planner doesn't refer me they aren't good, I am just saying when you hire a professional wedding coordinator, consider the motive for the referral. If the vendor paid for the referral, it is a LOSE-LOSE-WIN situation. The client loses because they probably didn't get the best vendor, the vendor loses because they make less money and the wedding planner is the only one who wins.

If you are considering hiring a professional wedding planners, look them in the eye and ask them if they take "commissions" from other vendors. Hopefully you'll want a vendor who is referred because they do great work and provide excellent service and not just because they threw some cash at the coordinator.

And to all the other photographers, florists, cake makers, DJs, band leaders, etc... no matter where you live, don't pay the kickback. They only ask for it because others are desperate for the work and they are taking advantage of the situation. If we all banded together and refused to pay the kickback, they'd probably stop asking for it.

Anyway, I am proud to have never paid a commission and my business has been built almost solely on referrals. My clients have continued to refer me because I provide great photos in a relaxed comfortable environment and give excellent service. I have been referred by some amazing and talented wedding coordinators and I am always thankful for those referrals. I have even given thank you gifts, or sample albums to coordinators I enjoy working with because I am appreciative of the work, I just don't like being required to do so.

Also, rest assured that all of the vendors that I refer are on that list because they are the best in the business and I enjoy working with them. I only ask you to drop my name because I believe they'll bend over backwards to give you great service because they want to remain on my list.

So again, just to recap, if you are in the middle of planning your wedding, look for referrals from people you know and trust, and meet with as many vendors as you possibly can and hire the person you feel most comfortable with. Don't hire someone just because a wedding planner told you to. Check your sources. Ask around. Don't be afraid to hire someone that is not on the list if you like their work better. It's your day and you can do whatever you want."

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve ~

Great post...I completely agree, consultants who take kickbacks and referral fees just make the rest of us look bad...

Thanks for the PSA

May 31, 2007 at 4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory - Blogged